It was in the early morning of October 10, 1903, that about one hundred strong young Filipino students (see Appendix A) gathered in a building at Villalobos Street, Quiapo, Manila. There Don Tomas G. del Rosario, Dr. Trinidad H. Pardo de Tavera, and Governor General William H. Taft briefly addressed them, as they were about to set sail for the United States of America, to secure higher education there for four years. Afterwards, in a group of twos, they marched along the streets of Carriedo, Escolta, Rosario, and San Fernando, till they reached Muelle de la Industria landing, where they were taken off by a small steam launch to the steamer, Rohilla Maru, anchored at Manila Bay. At about eleven o'clock noon, we steamed out of the bay. Shortly thereafter, we heard the sound of a gong, announcing the time for lunch. Many of us came to the table, but few remained to enjoy their meal, as the undulating movement of the ship and the strange odors emanating from its bowels produced seasickness among us in no time.