The Catanduanes State Colleges started its operation in 1972 by virtue of Republic Act No. 6341, amended by Republic Act No. 6590 and later repealed by Presidential Decree No. 1437 on June 10, 1978. On July 22, 1996, the Tenth Congress of the Republic of the Philippines enacted and approved Republic Act No. 8292, a law which provides for the uniform compositions and powers of the governing boards, the manner of appointment and term of office of the president of chartered state universities and colleges, and for other purposes. This Act repealed and amended all laws, presidential decrees, executive orders, letters of instruction and SUC charters contrary to or inconsistent with this law.