HomeInternational Rice Research Notesvol. 23 no. 1 (1998)

Chemical weed control in rice nurseries of the hill zone of Karnataka

M. Syed Anwarulla

Discipline: Agriculture, Integrated Germplasm Improvement

 

Abstract:

Weeds pose a threat to rice cultivation from the nursery stage in the hill zone of Karnataka (south India), which has 182,000 ha under rainfed rice (the sole food and field crop of the zone). This area is located between 12-14 N and 74-76 E. Average annual rainfall is 2,460 mm, of which 83% occurs between June and September (with the remaining 17% from October to December). Rice nurseries are sown from the first week of June to the second week of July depending upon the toposequence and rainfall pattern for the wet season and during the second week of December to the second week of January for the summer (dry) season.